Since 1887, when James Deter McNary was elected Colusa County Coroner, the goal of McNary-Moore Funeral Service has been to provide the community with service, caring and understanding in our most troubling and sorrowful times.
John Deter McNary subsequently joined his father James in the operation of the mortuary, which was known as J.D. McNary & Son at the time. In 1925, Howard Moore came to Colusa as an accountant and met John D. McNary. Upon the death of James McNary in 1931, he began to work part-time with John D. McNary in the funeral business.
In 1935, Howard Moore earned his degree in Mortuary Science and joined the firm full-time. In 1946, John Deter McNary moved to Berkeley, and J.D. McNary & Son became a partnership, with Howard Moore as managing partner and secretary-treasurer. Gene Moore, Howard's son who had recently been discharged as a pilot from the U.S. Army Air Corps after World War II, came to work for the firm. In 1960, the firm was incorporated, and the name was changed to McNary-Moore Funeral Service with Howard Moore as manager and secretary-treasurer. At the same time, the Sullivan Chapel & Mortuary was merged into the corporation. Howard Moore succeeded Tim Sullivan as Colusa County Coroner, and Gene Moore became a shareholder upon death of his father Howard in 1980. Gene was elected Colusa County Coroner and acquired his father's interest in the mortuary.
Through the years, some things have changed, but our commitment to help the citizens of Colusa County has always remained the same for over 120 years. In 1997, We entered into a new partnership with Carriage Services, the finest funeral provider in the country.
The administration of managing partner Verdo Werre and Rebecca Leon, Delbert Bressler and Ken Flagor will give you the same special care that James Deter McNary did at our inception.
Who We Are
What We Offer
Why Plan Ahead?
How We Help